Tuesday, September 23, 2014

You don't need to be perfect!

Recently, I have been struggling with this idea that I need to have everything in order, everything in its neat tidy little box, and life running as smoothly as possible.  Well, wake up Elyssa, life does not work like that.  

You're probably thinking I must already realize that, and I do.  In practical life, it is hard though to work that concept out in every day life.  Maybe not for everyone, and you may have no struggles in this area at all (yay for you!) For me, I like everything to be orderly and put together the right way.  Yet, God has been wiggling His words into my heart reminding me that I do not need to have all the pieces of the puzzle put together, my house does not need to remain hyper-clean all the time, and my children do not need to be spit-polished clean.  

As I am sure all you moms can relate, life can be so hectic with two little ones sometimes, and they take all the energy out of you.  They are little leeches (hmm, maybe too harsh a word, but you get the concept) who just need your constant attention and focus, and at the end of the day, all I want to do is collapse in bed.  At times, I just leave my house in total disarray because I have put my focus on Matthew and Emma, and then have to remember the Lord does not care how clean my house is.  He cares about my heart and my training for my little people.  What will they learn from my attitude?  What will they remember about how their times were spent with me?  Will they remember a crazy mom who scurried about the house picking up every little object and toy after they were done with it, or will they remember a mom who curled up on the couch tickling, laughing and talking with them?  I hope it's the latter, though sometimes I definitely miss that mark and neglect spending that quality time with my children because I am so wrapped up in having my "clean house".  Oh Lord, forgive me, and help me to realize my children need me.  They need to see me engrossed in their activities and melded to the tune of their hearts instead of flurrying around trying to get that last load of laundry thrown in, or the spaghetti sauce cleaned off the stove and wall.  

As my son talks to me, he constantly says "mom, watch", "mom, look at me", and he means it... he really wants me to LOOK at him, LISTEN to him, and WATCH what he does.  Isn't that more important?  That I see my little people for the beautiful creation that God has designed and allowed me to shape and mold?  My heart's prayer is that one day, when my children are grown and older, that I will have a relationship and friendship with them that allows them to come to me at any time, in any way, through any situation and be able to talk things through because I have instilled that in their little hearts from the beginning.  Not a maniac mom who is more concerned with outward appearances and the cleanliness of my house- but connected to them because I share everything I have with them.  I want to pour my heart, life and love into them, so that years from now, that is what they remember.  


Matthew & Emma- you are everything to me, you are my light and joy at all times, and I thank and praise God for making you the little people that you have become.  I love when your squishy fingers curl around my hands as we walk.  I love your voices, which yell and shout and fight, but signify that you want to be heard.  Your voices matter and are important.  I melt when you smile you smile  at me, because in those smiles hold a thousand words of love.  Your characters are unique, your hugs and kisses mean more than you can know, and it's my prayer that you fall in love with the love of the Father, because you see that love displayed somehow in my life.  I am not perfect, I do NOT have all the pieces of the puzzle put together, but I am trying everyday to show you that God's love and His grace are sufficient to make me the mommy that you need.  He is my source of fulfillment, not who I am, not what I do, and definitely not how clean my house is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment